The Kenyan Nomad

The Kenyan Nomad

Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Quest for Pura Vida

Pura Vida is a phrase that is used extensively in Costa Rica, and literally translated, means 'pure life'. The best definition of the Pura Vida way of life comes from another blog that I stumbled across online (Pura Vida Source). As the authors put it, "Costa Ricans use pura vida to express a philosophy of strong community, perseverance, good spirits, enjoying life slowly and celebrating good fortune, whether small or large". 

I thought this was a great description of what so many of us are trying to achieve; at least I know I am! While I know that as outsiders we may not fully understand Pura Vida in the sense that Costa Ricans use it, in some way or another, we all have our definition of Pura Vida. For me, I find that it's easy to get caught up in lots of plans and goals and resolutions. Recently, I started to try and live life by celebrating each day; planning for the future but acknowledging just how beautiful today was. Once you try, it's easy to find happiness and appreciate life for all that it gives you. 




I'm lucky in that I've always had great community around me. I come from a very close knit family, and have often tried (and succeeded) at connecting with family that I haven't yet met. While Nairobi is a big city, having lived there for so many years means that I am definitely part of a growing community. My luck continued when I moved to Sewanee and truly learnt what it was to be a member of a larger community. Such experiences have shaped me in that I know wherever I am, I'll carry my sense of community with me. 

I always say that life is too short to spend it stressing about irrelevant things. Sure, they are worrying now, but try looking at your problems with some perspective. Five years from now, is what you're worrying about going to carry much importance? Celebrate your good fortune, because believe it or not, you have it better than a lot of other people out there. Do things that are good for you, that benefit your mind, body and your soul. Pick up a new book, go watch a sunset, have a hearty laugh. 

Till next time, friends. Keep chasing that Pura Vida life!



Enjoyed this post? Don't forget to comment, follow this blog, like my page on Facebook at The Kenyan Nomad or reach out to me on twitter @roshwalia !

No comments:

Popular Posts